The Cape Breton Cancer Centre opened in 1998 and currently serves more than double the patients for which it was built.
The new, larger centre will provide a more comfortable, supportive centre focused on patients and their families. Technology and additional supports under one roof will enhance the quality of care for patients, closer to home, and reduce the number of visits over the course of treatment.
Other benefits include:
- Increase ability to deliver chemotherapy and provide flexibility to adapt to future changes in treatment
- Space to allow for the addition of supports like education, nutrition, psychology, and social work
- Options for holistic care as part of treatment
- Space for volunteer programs
- Audio-visual equipment so patients can virtually include their families in their treatment
- State-of-the-art facilities that will help attract researchers and clinicians to advance cancer care and improve outcomes for patients
- More opportunity for research, innovation, and participation in clinical trials here at home
- Limited disruption of treatment during construction (new build)