The Cape Breton Regional Hospital is home to the second-largest Intensive Care Unit (ICU) in the province. It also has a Coronary Care Unit (CCU) and an Intermediate Care Unit (IMCU).
The new department will be larger in size with more privacy, and new, seperate spaces for families.
Other benefits include:
- Moving patients out of the emergency department (ED) and into critical care faster, reducing pressure on the ED
- Larger rooms with more privacy for patients and space for families to sit comfortably at the bedside
- Adding family and support rooms inside the units
- Improving work environment for doctors and staff with the three special care units under one roof
- Improved layout, providing more natural light
- Limited disruption of services during construction (new build)