Since the Cape Breton Regional Hospital opened in 1995, the emergency department has been renovated five times to help accommodate more patients and services.
The new emergency department will be larger with more exam and patient rooms. Emergency patients will be able to access services such as CT scanner, x-rays and ultrasound without leaving the department.
Other benefits include:
- Providing more complete emergency services in the emergency department like diagnostic imaging
- Larger exam and treatment rooms
- Improving layout to allow for easier movement of patients and staff
- Larger ambulance bay
- Increasing use of telemedicine technologies
- Limited disruption of services during construction (new building)