Since the Cape Breton Regional Hospital opened in 1995, the emergency department has been renovated five times to help accommodate more patients and services.
The new emergency department will be double in size, with more exam and patient rooms. Emergency patients will be able to access services such as x-rays and ultrasound without leaving the department. It will also offer teaching and education spaces for staff and students.
Other benefits include:
- Providing more complete emergency services in the emergency department like diagnostic imaging
- Larger exam and treatment rooms
- Improving layout to allow for easier movement of patients and staff
- Increasing space to reduce the length of time it takes ambulances to drop off patients
- Larger ambulance bay
- Increasing use of telemedicine technologies
- Enhancing teaching and research opportunities by adding new conference/simulation spaces
- Limited disruption of services during construction (new building)