Opened in 1954, Northside General Hospital is a community hospital that serves North Sydney, Sydney Mines, and surrounding areas. It currently has 45 acute care beds, 14 licensed transitional long-term care beds, and 22 beds on Taigh Solas, a licensed community long-term care unit.
As part of the CBRM Health Care Redevelopment Project, Northside residents will have a new, modern health centre and a 60-bed long-term care home. Both will be built in the Northside Business Park, along with a new laundry centre. The project also includes 12 (sub-acute) short-stay beds.
PCL Constructors Canada Inc. will advise on the planning and management of the construction work. Construction of the Northside Health Centre is expected to begin in spring 2021.
New health centre
- A new health centre will replace Northside General Hospital, strengthening primary health services in the area
- Space for a collaborative family care teams (doctors, nurse practitioners, social workers, dietitians, and other health professionals)
- Space for urgent care clinics for after-hours access
- More space for ambulatory care clinics to allow for specialty clinics
- Continuing care staff in one location (currently in a separate building)
- New work stations for physiotherapy, occupational therapy, and nutrition counselling
- Expanded dialysis service (going from 8 to 12 treatment stations)
- New consultation rooms for counselling, community support teams, and wellness clinics
- New team work stations for public health services with consultation and clinic rooms
- Increased space for mental health and addictions programs
- Expansion of chronicle disease management space to include a new classroom and a new nourishment room
- Diagnostic imaging (x-ray and ultrasound), blood collection, and cardiac services
- Twelve new (sub-acute) short-stay beds for patients who need observation but not in an acute care setting; stays up to 72 hours
- This includes patients with exacerbated COPD, post-surgery wound care requiring IV antibiotics, and blood transfusion
New long-term care home
- Taigh Solas, the current 22-bed licensed community long-term care unit, will be replaced with a new 60-bed long-term care home
New laundry centre
- A new laundry centre to serve CBRM hospitals and health centres will be built to replace the existing facility
- It will have modern equipment and improved working conditions