As part of QEII New Generation, the redevelopment of the QEll Health Sciences Centre, services are being moved out of the aging Victoria, Centennial and Dickson buildings on the VG site. Care and services will be delivered at other hospitals or new health care facilities being built or renovated including a new Community Outpatient Centre in Bayers Lake. Many of the same types of clinics and appointments currently offered at the VG and HI sites will be offered at the new centre, providing a more convenient option for the thousands of Nova Scotians who have to travel to Halifax for certain services.
In August 2020, Government awarded EllisDon Infrastructure Healthcare the contract to design, build, finance and maintain the new Community Outpatient Centre in Bayers Lake, Halifax.
Recently, an updated value for money or VFM analysis for the Community Outpatient Centre project was completed. The results of the report support the selected delivery model and confirm that the project will realize the maximum benefits possible for all Nova Scotians.
The new Community Outpatient Centre will include:
- space for primary care services to be delivered by a health care team such as doctors, nurses and other health professionals
- clinics such as physio and occupational therapy, high blood pressure, diabetes and orthopaedic assessment
- 17 examination rooms
- 24 dialysis stations
- diagnostic imaging (x-rays and ultrasounds)
- blood collection
- post-surgery or post-treatment follow-up appointments
- Improving access to care by providing more services in the community
- Providing a more convenient location for Nova Scotians who have to travel to downtown Halifax for certain appointments/services
- Reducing stress of navigating busy streets in downtown Halifax and finding parking
- Providing primary care to people in the community
- Providing doctors, nurses and other health professionals a modern place to work with advanced equipment and technology
- Providing a modern, state-of-the-art facility to help recruit and retain health professionals
Quick facts about the new QEII Community Outpatient Centre
- 28,000 clinic visits expected each year
- 30,000 x-ray and blood collection visits expected each year
- easy access off 100 series highways
- about 500 parking spaces