As part of QEII New Generation project, the QEII Health Sciences Centre will be redeveloped and services will be moved out of the aging Victoria, Centennial and Dickson Buildings on the Victoria General site. Care and services will be delivered at Hants Community Hospital or Dartmouth General Hospital, or the new Bayers Lake QEII Community Outpatient Centre or the expanded and renovated QEII Health Sciences Centre Halifax Infirmary (HI) campus.
In August 2020, Government awarded EllisDon Infrastructure Healthcare the contract to design, build, finance and maintain the new Community Outpatient Centre in Bayers Lake, Halifax. Learn more about EllisDon and their work on this significant projcet by visiting their website.
In November 2020, a value for money or VFM analysis for the Bayers Lake QEII Community Outpatient Centre project was completed. The results of the report support the selected delivery model and confirm that the project will realize the maximum benefits possible for all Nova Scotians.
The new Community Outpatient Centre will include:
- QEII Eye Care Centre
- Primary care services
- 17 examination rooms
- 24 dialysis stations
- Diagnostic imaging, including x-rays, ultrasounds, bone density
- Blood and specimen collection
- Post-surgery or post-treatment follow-up appointments
- Orthopedic Assessment Clinic and rehabilitation
- Medical/Surgical Clinics, including endocrinology, ENT, internal medicine, GI, plastics, respiratory clinics
- Improving access to care by providing more services in the community
- Providing a more convenient location for Nova Scotians who have to travel to downtown Halifax for certain appointments/services
- Reducing stress of navigating busy streets in downtown Halifax and finding parking
- Providing primary care to people in the community
- Providing doctors, nurses and other health professionals a modern place to work with advanced equipment and technology
- Providing a modern, state-of-the-art facility to help recruit and retain health professionals
- 28,000 clinic visits expected each year
- 30,000 x-ray and blood collection visits expected each year
- Easy access off 100 series highways
- Over 600 parking spaces