Glace Bay residents will soon have improved access to dialysis with the opening of the Tom Peach Renal Dialysis Clinic. The new six-station unit will begin treating patients at Glace Bay Hospital later this month.
“The completion of the new dialysis unit at Glace Bay Hospital is an important milestone and means patients can receive treatment closer to home,” said Business Minister Geoff MacLellan, on behalf of Health and Wellness Minister Leo Glavine. “This is the first of many exciting changes at the Glace Bay Hospital, including an expanded emergency department and renovated surgical suites.”
Government invested $5.8 million in the unit’s construction. The project was also funded by the estate of the late Thomas Peach of Glace Bay, who left $1.9 million with the intent of helping establish dialysis services in the community.
Patients will be under the care of nephrologists from Cape Breton Regional Hospital who support satellite units. Two registered nurses, two licensed practical nurses, two renal assistants, and a part-time social worker, pharmacist and dietitian have been hired to support the new clinic.
The Tom Peach Renal Dialysis Clinic will treat about 24 patients from the community who previously had to travel to Cape Breton Regional Hospital for dialysis.
- Dialysis is a process where patients without fully functioning kidneys use specialized equipment or processes to remove waste, salt and extra water from their blood.
- The main dialysis centre for renal services in the Eastern Zone is at Cape Breton Regional Hospital in Sydney with 26 stations. There are also four satellite renal dialysis units located at Northside General, Inverness Consolidated Memorial, St. Martha’s Regional and Strait-Richmond hospitals.
- As part of the CBRM Health Care Redevelopment Project, four more stations will be added to North Sydney, increasing to 12 from eight.
- Construction for the Glace Bay project began in July 2019 by Joneljim Construction.
- Government is also building or expanding dialysis units in Kentville, Digby, Bridgewater, Halifax and Dartmouth.