Government is inviting bids from companies interested in managing the construction of a major expansion at the Cape Breton Regional Hospital.
The Cape Breton Regional Hospital is getting a new emergency department, critical care department and cancer centre. All three services will be part of the new 190,000 square-foot building to be built at the back of the hospital as part of the CBRM Health Care Redevelopment project.
The request for proposal for construction management services has been issued and details are available online at https://procurement.novascotia.ca/ns-tenders.aspx .
The deadline for submissions is Wednesday, Oct. 30.
The CBRM Health Care Redevelopment project will transform health care in Cape Breton Regional Municipality, improving access to care, creating more reliable, sustainable services and modernizing health-care facilities which will improve the work environment and help with recruitment and retention of health professionals.
Along with changes to the Cape Breton Regional Hospital, the redevelopment also includes:
- building a new, modern community health centre, long-term care home and laundry centre in North Sydney
- building a new school, modern community health centre and long-term care home in New Waterford
- renovating and revitalizing the Glace Bay Hospital emergency department
- the new emergency department at the Cape Breton Regional Hospital will be twice as large as the current one, with more exam and patient rooms
- the new critical care department will more than triple in size and have the intensive care, coronary care and intermediate care units all under one roof
- Cape Breton Cancer Centre will more than double its size with twice as many chemotherapy seats and new space for counselling and group sessions
- the expansion will be connected to the existing hospital building via pedway